Search This Blog


Thursday, December 13, 2012

2012-13 Score Hockey Box Break

A couple of months ago, I grabbed myself a box of 2012-13 Score hockey, and just never bothered posting about it. However, since I simply put the cards back in the box and tucked them away, I still have all the cards together and figured I'd showcase some of what I got.

Score is Panini's low-end brand, retailing at just $.99 per pack, which makes the boxes pretty cheap. You'll have a difficult time finding any hits, but with a low-cost product, that is to be expected.

Anyway, I got seven Penguins base cards, with the best one easily being the Evgeni Malkin Award Winners card, which commemorates him winning the Art Ross trophy for scoring the most points in the 2011-12 season.


Each pack also contains a gold parallel card, and I was lucky enough to have SIX of the 36 packs provinding me with gold cards of my favorite team


There are also plenty of rookies to be found. Unfortunately, none of these will be 2012 draft picks due to the lockout, but I still magaged to pull a couple good ones, including two gold parallels.


The first batch of insert cards are from the First Goal set, which commemorates...well, you get the idea. Anyway, I pulled four of them, including one of a guy I'm a big fan of, Gabriel Landeskog.


Score also decided to go retro with their The Franchise insert set. I got five, all from original six teams, including one of my favorite old-timers, Bobby Hull.


Visually, one of the coolest insert sets is Net Cam. Each one of these cards features a full-card photograph of the goaltender making a spectacular save from the perspective of the net he is saving. Very cool.


Speaking of great-looking cards, I pulled one of the Team Score cards, featuring Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara. I've always liked the posed black-and-white cards like this, and it reminds me of a lot of Scores Dream Team cards from the early '90s.


My final insert, and the only one to contain any type of foil, is a card from The Franchise, featuring Matt Duchene of the Colorado Avalanche. It's kind of funny, we're so used to foil and chrome and all of the flash all over the place, but pull a card with foil printing out of a low-end box, and it seems like something special. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.


Well, there you have it. Score is a brand that might not give you any of the autographs or memorabilia cards we are all used to, but it will provide you with a whole lot of fun busting packs, just like it used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment