Search This Blog


Wednesday, June 4, 2014

2013-14 Rookie Anthology Box Break #2

Keeping the good times going, here's a quick look at my second box of 2013-14 Rookie Anthology. Like the box I posted on yesterday, we will also find here a good mix of veterans on new teams, late-season rookies, and plenty of spectacular hits.

So without further ado, let's get to it:

Unlike my first box, this one gave me two Penguins, in the form of Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang, leaving me with just Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury left to go for the team set. Not only that, but I also pulled a gold parallel of Kily Okposo, serial numbered 34/100.



There was also Score, Prizm, and Select with the exact same quantity as Box #1. Bot boxes had 8 from Score, 4 from Prizm, and 3 from Select.




My first autograph from this box was of New York Islanders rookie Anders Lee. After playing just 2 games in the 2012-13 season, the former Notre Dame Fighting Irish center played in 22 NHL games during the 2013-14 season, scoring 9 goals and 5 assists.


I also pulled a Tomas Jurco Select rookie card. This one contains an autograph and jersey swatch, and is numbered 180/199. Jurco appeared in 36 games for the Detroit Red Wings during the 2013-14 season, scoring 8 goals and 7 assists.


I've been a big fan of Luxury Suite ever since its first (and only) full release in 2010-11. Luckily for me, the product has been kept alive as an insert in Rookie Anthology for the past three years. This Valtteri Filppula card is numbered 93/199, and features a piece of his stick. While there isn't any colors from the stick label, the piece does have some different texturing, which still makes it a pretty cool card.


I actually pulled two Rookie Treasures cards from this box, the first being Emerson Etem, numbered 174/249. Etem has split time the past two seasons between the Anaheim Ducks and the Norfolk Admirals of the AHL, and had his most productive year in 2013-14, scoring 7 goals and 4 assists in 29 NHL games.


My second one was even better, with this Carl Soderberg patch variation, numbered 11/25. Like with most memorabilia cards, these are tiered based on the type of memorabilia used. There are Jersey /249, Prime Jersey /50, Patch /25 and Laundry Tag /1. I really lucked out with this one, getting not only the second-rarest version of the card, but two fantastic-looking multi-colored patches.



Lastly, I pulled a Morgan Rielly Autographed Rookie Patch card numbered to /199. Unfortunately, it's a redemption, but the card is one of the Dominion updates, which still makes it a really nice pull. There are also plenty of Rielly autographs out there, including the one I pulled from a box of Playbook, so I'm pretty confident that this will get filled at some point. If not, a high-end rookie card of a fairly valuable rookie should at least give me a more-than-decent replacement.


That's it for Box #2. I still have one more to go, and I will say that this box was probably the lesser of the three, and the third box will contain the best card I pulled, so you have that to look forward to.

(NOTE: I am including a box of Rookie Anthology in my upcoming group break, so let this serve as a preview of what could potentially be had in that break. Follow THIS LINK for more details.)

2 comments:

  1. Nice Jurco and Glendening! And that Tim Thomas Score card would look great in my Goaltending Gallimaufry project, so I'll have to get myself one of those.

    ReplyDelete