Search This Blog


Saturday, June 29, 2013

2012-13 Fleer Retro Mini Box Break #2

I've already opened up one box of Upper Deck's 2012-13 Fleer Retro, so with some money burning a hole in my pocket, and my LCS running out of boxes of Rookie Anthology and SP Authentic, I decided to try my hand at another, and see how it would turn out. 

I didn't get any Penguins base cards, unless you count Jarome Iginla, who is featured on his card as a member of the Calgary Flames, and I got that card in my first box anyway, so let's just take a look at the inserts and hits.

92-93: Jeff Skinner, Dion Phaneuf
93-94: Adam Henrique
94-95: Johan Fanzen, Josh Gorges


Like my first box, I got a 1997-98 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems parallel, but this time, it was a lower serial-number and a bigger name, with a blue  Jonathan Quick, numbered 29/50.


I also pulled another parallel of another top-quality goaltender with a Legacy Collection parallel of Henrik Lundqvist from the 1997-98 Flair Showcase Row 2 insert set, numbered 130/150.


My big insert of the break, though, came in the form of an Evgeni Malkin card based on the 1997-98 EX 2001 set. I'm not sure how the original cards were made, but for these, Upper Deck does something similar to the Championship Rings card from Black Diamond. Basically, they take a clear acetate material, which can be seen on the left side of the card, and then a second layer containing the foil and the player photo is placed on top of that. Out of the two boxes, this is EASILY the coolest non-autographed card that I have pulled.


My three autos were a little disappointing, in that all three came from the 1669-97 Skybox Autographics set, which is the most common auto set out of Fleer Retro. I do, however, like the Bobby Ryan, if for no other reason than the fact that he was selected No. 2 in the 2005 NHL entry draft right behind Sidney Crosby. Patrick O'Sullivan may have the most Irish-sounding name in the NHL, but his signature look like he fell asleep in the middle of signing his sticker. As a Penguins fan, the O'Reilly would have been cool, had I not acquired the card just a few weeks earlier.


My inserts were much better on this box, but I found the three autos to be a little lacking. It's not that I have a major problem with getting autos of rookies and mid-level NHLers, it's that I'd at least like some veriety, like I found in box #1.

Anyway, pretty much anything is up for trade, except, of course the Malkin and (maybe) the Bobby Ryan, but if anything else grabs your attention, be sure to let me know.

1 comment:

  1. As you can probably guess, should you decide to part with the Bobby Auto, I'd be very much interested.

    ReplyDelete