Search This Blog


Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Bunch of Cards from Ebay

Yet again, I went on Ebay, found a card I liked, and fell into the ol' "See Other Items" trap. The seller was offering free shipping, which is good, because then I don't have to try do any math to make sure I don't go over my spending limit, but bad, because it made it that much easier to click on "Bid."

Still, I managed to keep things somewhat contained, and for about 75% of what most hobby boxes go for, I got the following 12 cards:


2010-11 Donruss Fans of the Game Michael Ontkean auto


Ontkean, if you can't tell from the card's photo, played the role of Ned Braden, "a college graduate, and an American citizen,"  in the 1977 movie Slap Shot. While the Hanson brothers, who have their own Fans of the Game cards, are the more recognizable characters from the film, the story mainly centers around the conflict between Braden and player/coach Reg Dunlop (Paul Newman) over turning the team into a goon squad. Ontkean also has a Scratching the Surface auto card from 2011-12 Crown Royale, but since he's featured in his Charlestown Chiefs gear here, this was the card I had to have.

2012-13 Fleer Retro Metal Universe Hardware Sidney Crosby


This card is from Upper Deck's tribute to Fleer hockey cards, Fleer Retro. This specific insert is seeded at just 1:108 packs, almost making it a case hit, but just falling short of the mark (120 packs). Championship Hardware is based on the 1997-98 Fleer Metal Universe insert set, which recognizes NHL award winners.

2012-13 Fleer Retro Brad Richards auto


I know that Richards' production has slipped, and he'll likely be the teams compliance buy-out during the summer, but at only five bucks, I figured it would be a good purchase. It'll be interesting to see where he heads this off-season.
2012-13 Fleer Retro Skybox Autographics Chris Kunitz


This is actually my first certified auto of Kunitz in a Penguins uniform, but my third auto of his in total. With my other two, one has him in a Ducks sweater, and the other has him with the Penguins, but is an IP auto.

 2012-13 Fleer Retro Skybox Autographics Cal O’Reilly


Even though he is a Penguin on this card, I have really never heard of this guy. As it turns out, there is a reason for that. His Penguins career lasted all of six games during the 2011-12 season. He now plays for Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL.

2012-13 Fleer Retro Skybox Autographics Dany Heatley


I know a lot of people dislike Heatley, and I'm sure with  good reason, but he's a decent player, who plays for the local team, so why the heck not?
2012-13 Limited Stanley Cup Winners Denis Potvin auto 25/99


I love that Panini continued the Stanley Cup Winners insert set from last year, even if it isn't quite as cool as the black card w/ silver ink from 2011-12. Still, it is an on-card auto of a hall of famer and four-time Stanley Cup champion, and this card only set me back $5.55.
2012-13 Limited Travels Joe Nieuwendyk triple jersey 62/99


I've already done a post on why I'm a fan of Nieuwendyk, so I won't get into it again, but I will say how much I love how they were able to track down a jersey of each of his first three NHL teams for this card. And as an added bonus, all three swatches are different colors.
2012-13 Limited Freshman Jumbo Scott Glennie auto jersey 32/99


Glennie was the eighth overall pick of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. So far, he has only one NHL game under his belt, so time will still have to tell on whether or not he finds any success in the NHL.

2011-12 Dominion rookie patch auto Erik Gustafsson 5/199


I picked up card mainly as an addition to my Dominion auto patch rookies collection. Unfortunately the "patch" is just solid white, but at the price I got it for, I can over look the details.
2011-12 Dominion Mammoth prime jersey Colin Greening 20/25


Greening was a seventh round draft pick (205th overall) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, but ever since making his NHL debut during the 2010-11 season, he has been a mainstay on the Senators' roster, missing only one game in the past two season. 
2013 Museum Collection Primary Pieces quad jersey Starlin Castro 57/99

 Lastly, I decided to pick up a baseball card to add to my Cubs collection. With Anthony Rizzo seemingly taking over as the Cubs' go-to guy for autos and relics, it's nice to see Castro still get some play.

Well, that's it for this group. Great cards. Great prices. Who could ask for anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment