Search This Blog


Monday, April 23, 2012

2011 ITG Decades 1980s Team USA Auto: Mike Eruzione

Last year, In the Game released a high-end product called Decades: 1980s, which featured, obviously, hockey stars and events from that decade. I didn't know much about the product until recently, since until recently, I didn't live anywhere near a LCS that sold hockey cards. The product has been out for over a year, but I just recently discovered that one of the features of the 1980s product, was that they have on-card autographs of all 20 members of the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team.

Upon this discovery, I immediately made it my mission to track down each one and complete a set. Of course, since this is last year's product, individual cards can be a little difficult to find. I did, however, track down a few and got my first one in the mail today: team captain and game-winning goal scorer Mike Eruzione.


Eruzione is not known for much more than his goal, but his goal celebration and him inviting all of his fellow players to join him on the medal podium (which is usually just reserved for the captain) are images that will last forever.

 
Despite getting an offer from the New York Rangers, Eruzione retired from competition after the Olympics. He spent a few years as a broadcaster and coached his alma mater, Boston University for three seasons. Eruzione is currently part-owner of the Omaha Lancers of the USHL.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you and I don't get into bidding wars for these on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope not. So far, I just have the Eruzione in hand, with Steve Christoff and Eric Strobel on the way. There aren't a ton out there at a given time, so I'm sure the two of us will be costing each other quite a bit of money.

      Delete