Search This Blog


Monday, June 20, 2011

Die Cut #5 - Tyler Colvin

It took a bit of maneuvering, but I finally got my grubby little hands on my FIFTH Cubs card from Topps Diamond Die Cut with outfielder Tyler Colvin.


I was hoping to trade my last pre-1970s card, a 1961 John Romano straight up for it, but there were no takers for it, so I had to get a little creative. I went a little crazy with the trade proposals, offering Romano for a die cut of any player with a decent name. Someone took the bait and sent me a Jimmy Rollins. I then tried to see if I could turn that around for Colvin, and within minutes, it was accepted. Now, all I have left is Ernie Banks.

Actually, on Topps' Facebook page, they are running a tournament to decide three additional die-cut subjects, one retired, one veteran, and one rookie. Ryne Sandberg is in the running for retired players, leading in the second round. It looks like he'll be meeting Reggie Jackson in the finals, who already HAS a die cut card. I'm not sure who is in the running for the veteran and rookie tournaments, but I'm sure Alfonso Soriano and Darwin Barney will make an appearance in their respective brackets.

Five Cubs Die Cuts in five days. Looking good so far, but I think I'm going to have to get creative for that Banks.

1 comment: