Search This Blog


Thursday, April 7, 2011

Quick Trip to the LCS

I made a trip to my LCS yesterday and made out pretty good. I finally picked up a card I had been eyeing the past couple of trips, an Alfonso Soriano base relic from 2003 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia. It is from the Total Bases insert set and references Soriano's 117 singles in 2002. What is cool about this card is on the right side, it identifies the base as being from a game 7/8/01 between the Yankees and Mets. What it shows me is that it must not be too difficult to tell the consumer where the relic is from. The card is also serial numbered 12/117.


I also decided to grab a couple packs of this year's Heritage. I love the '62 throwbacks, and although it's too big of a set with too many SPs, I still like to add a few to the collection. I haven't gotten much from the retail I've picked up so far, but I was pleasantly surprised to see this card in one of those two packs:


I hadn't ever heard of him before, but I was absolutely thrilled to pull a vintage auto. Upon further research, Yost's claim to fame was that he never played a single game of minor league baseball in his career. He was signed by the Senators in 1944 at the age of 17 and made his major league debut August 16 of that year. He played in 2,109 games over his career with the Senators, Tigers and Angels. He was nicknamed "The Walking Man" for the numerous walks he drew and was considered to be one of the best lead-off men of his era. He also holds the distinction of being the first Angels player to appear in a major league game, leading off in the team's first game 4/11/61 against the Orioles.

So there ya go. One of the more successful trips to the LCS that didn't involve the purchase of a hobby box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment