Search This Blog


Monday, November 23, 2015

Two Tins of 2015-16 Upper Deck (Connor McDavid!!!)

A couple weeks ago, I purchased a base set of 2015-16 Upper Deck Series 1. I mostly did it for TTM purposes, just to keep my stock up to date, but it was just the base set, and included none of the Young Guns SPs. These are the first big rookies that new players have each year, and the top draft pick's cards can command a high dollar amount in return. Luckily for me, I was able get a few of them for cheaper thatn what I would spend on a hobby box, when I found some tins at WalMart. The tins each contain 12 packs of 8 cards, and on average, 3 Young Guns, plus a few other inserts, and an occasional memorabilia card.

I bought two, figuring at $30 a piece, I wouldn't be out as much as I would for a hobby box, but still have the same amount of Young Guns cards. Well, about halfway through the first box, I hit the big one!


Connor McDavid, who is touted as the most promising young prospect since Sidney Crosby, and I was lucky enough to hit it on my first go! He is currently out for a couple of months with an injury, but the demand on anything with his name & number on it has not waned in the least. Most Ebay listings have this finishing out at around $200, which is not bad at all for a $30 box of retail.

I also was fortunate enough to pull one of my other favorite rookies from this year's class, Max Domi of the Arizona Coyotes. He has really become a scoring machine in Arizona, and with Anthony Duclair right beside him, and Dylan Strome just a year away from the NHL, Arizona's future is pretty bright.


I also pulled four other Young Guns: Evgeny Medvedev, Brett Kulak, Stanislav Galiev, and Colton Parayko. The only notable name out of the three is Medvedev, who is a 33-year-old "rookie" that came over from the KHL.


I think memorabilia cards fall at a rate of one in every other box. Well, I hit those odds, as two tins gave me one jersey card, of Vancouver Canucks goaltender Ryan Miller.


I also pulled two canvas cards out of each box. These are cards of players from Series 1, using alternate photographs, and on a rougher canvas-like cardstock. Mine were Aaron Ekblad, Ryan Miller, Niklas Kronwall, and Adam Henrique. They look fantastic autographed, but unfortunately for me, I don't think any of these four are great TTM signers.


My less-exciting inserts were Winter Classic Jumbo Box Toppers (Duncan Keith, John Carlson), Shining Stars (Devan Dubnyk, Braden Holtby), and UD Portraits (Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Pavel Datsyuk, Corey Perry).




That's it for the two tins. After pulling the big one, I highly doubt I'll be investing any more into these, although some extra money and a lack of new product may convince me otherwise in the near future. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Fantastic pull! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the great pull! Domi and Duclair have been amazing this year, they've slaughtered the Ducks twice now.

    Parayko is MASSIVE and has a hell of a shot. Pronger-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan Miller hot box! Congrats on the great pull. Felt bad when McDavid got hurt. It was right before they were due to play the Pens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent pull, sir! Good to know that the McDavid can be had at retail instead of dropping $4.50 on a pack at the card shop. Those canvas cards are nice as well. I think I might have to invest in one of these now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go!!! I box 4 hobby boxes and struck out. Packs are going for 6.50 in my neighbourhood now.

    ReplyDelete