Search This Blog


Monday, July 9, 2012

Anyone Up For A Hockey Group Break?

I had an AWESOME time with my baseball group break last month, and I want to do another, but this time, I want to do something a little different.

At my heart, I am a hockey fan above all else, and although I know there are plenty of hockey fans out there, I have never seen a hockey group break done by any of my fellow bloggers. I intend on breaking the ice, so to speak.

Here's what I'm thinking.

One of my favorite products over the past few years, since I have returned to the collecting world, has been 2010-2011 Panini Luxury Suite. The cards look good, the photographs are excellent, and it is LOADED with autographs and relics. Each box contains EIGHT hits, and I can get them for a really good price.

I have two options for the breakdown, depending on how many sign ups I can get, based on a $35 buy in.

Option 1: If I can get 7 participants, I would be able to purchase two boxes, which would total SIXTEEN hits. At seven participants, that would mean each breaker would get FOUR teams. Of course, that would leave two teams left over. In this case, I would leave out some of the teams with a lower presence (like Minnesota, Florida, etc.) and random off those hits, or combine them with another "lesser team" for a two team slot, if that makes sense.

Option 2: If I can get 10 participants, I would be able to purchase three boxes, which would total TWENTY-FOUR hits. Doing the math, that would give each breaker three teams. Granted, it would be less teams per person, but at ten participants, most of the high-dollar teams would be claimed at that point anyway.

For the remaining teams, in either option, I will list the remaining teams alphabetically by city. Then, I will use random.org to randomize the names of the participants and use that order to assign the teams down the list. For example, after randomization, the person's name who comes up first would get Anaheim, second gets Atlanta, etc. as long as those teams were not picked originally.

OR, if $35 seems like too steep of a buy-in for you, let me know, and maybe I'll have to do a different product at a lower buy in, but I REALLY want to do Luxury Suite

Either way, I want to do another group break, and I want it to be HOCKEY!!!

Anyway, if you are unfamiliar with Luxury Suite, here's a look at the product:










Once you're all done drooling, let me know what you think!


Also, if anyone wants to pre-claim a team already, before the "officiall" group break announcement, go ahead! Just keep in mind, this will commit you to the break. Do NOT send any payments in until I make the official announcement.

9 comments:

  1. I'd be in if i could get the flyers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I'd be interested in the Rangers but I have questions on how the other teams would be distributed. This darn Google+ thing makes me want to stomp on kittens and I can't find a way to email you through a profile.

    Can you email me at commishbob at gmail dot com or through my 59toppsblog? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will list the remaining teams alphabetically by city. Then, I will use random.org to randomize the names of the participants and use that order to assign the teams down the list. For example, after randomization, the person's name who comes up first would get Anaheim, second gets Atlanta, etc. as long as those teams were not picked originally.

      Delete
  3. OK, makes sense. One chosen team and either two or three random teams depending on number of participants? OK, let me think about it. My hockey interest is in the Rangers and a few eastern teams, I'll have to decide if I want to roll the dice on getting some teams I'm not up on. Those are sweet looking cards for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. I'll leave your name off the list for now. Let me know if you decide you want in. Of course, participants can trade any teams they don't want with each other, so you aren't necessarily stuck with what you are randomed.

      Delete
  4. Count me in, I will go with the Oilers. Odd I know, but this is Eberle's rookie year and I will take my chances on the random draw for my other teams.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt, I'm in...Toronto please...keep me posted on when & where to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Put me down for the Blackhawks.

    ReplyDelete