Search This Blog

Group Break entries are now closed, the boxes have been ordered and secondary teams have been randomized. Follow THIS LINK for final team assignments.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Group Break Goodies from Indians Baseball Cards

A couple of weeks ago, I participated in a group break hosted by Dave at Indians Baseball Cards and today I received the goodies. He busted a box of 1990 Heads Up, 1988 Sportflics, a blaster of 2009 Allen & Ginter and two blasters of 2011 Bowman. I took the Cubs, of course, and picked up the Marlins to see if I could add some Bowman cards to my player collections. Here's how I made out.

I did very well with the Cubs. A few Allen & Ginter base cards, plus a Rich Harden insert (not pictured). Bowman got me a couple of gold parallels (Dempster and Fukudome) as well as a few base cards I needed. Sportflics didn't give me much of anything, exept for a Shawon Dunston and a few commons.


Florida gave me exactly what I wanted. From Bowman, I already had a Mike Stanton for my PC, so I just needed a Hanley Ramirez and a Josh Johnson, plus a chrome rookie.


The Heads Up set is interesting. I'd estimate each head measures about 4" by 6" and has a suction cup to attach it to a window, a locker, or whatever. I got a Ryno, which was great, plus a Jerome Walton and Dwight Smith. They were big deals at the time, I promise.


Dave also threw in a few BIG surprises. I didn't scan it, but he sent along a ToppsTown card of Starlin Castro, along with a temporary tatto sheet of Cub Keith Moreland and Mariner Alvin Davis. A really cool collectible. The big bonus, though, was a 1969 Topps card of Cubs outfielder Jim Hickman. You can complain about Topps' photoshopping all you want, but it's still better than this airbrushing of a Dodgers uniform.


Thanks for a great break!

1 comment:

  1. All I could think of when I saw that Ryne Sandberg was "Incoming message from the big giant head!" Those things are scary. I have a few sitting around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete