Search This Blog

Group Break entries are now closed, the boxes have been ordered and secondary teams have been randomized. Follow THIS LINK for final team assignments.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Contest Winnings and Group Break From Sports Card Radio

As a pretty active podcast listener, I have found a couple hobby-related shows that I have really enjoyed, including Sports Card Radio. A couple of weeks ago, they ran a contest related to a box of 2010-2011 Playoff Contenders Hockey. All you had to do was answer a question related to your hockey collecting interests, and since everyone was a winner, your prize was based on your answer. I must have been the only Penguin fan, because my prize was every Penguin pulled from the box.


In addition to a cool-looking base set, there were some fantastic looking inserts. Two of them were from The Great Outdoors, which spotlights the Winter Classic. I was lucky enough to get both Crosby and Malkin, as well as a Lottery Winners card of Jordan Staal.


I also participated in a really cheap group break but on by the SCR guys. Two boxes of Topps Series 2 and one box of Bowman were opened, and teams were just $2 each. I took the Cubs in both of the Topps boxes and got just what I wanted, with a Darwin Barney from each box and a total of three Starlin Castros. I also got one of the randomed Diamond Giveaway cards, which netted me a 1995 Kevin Brown.


In Bowman, I took the Cubs (of course) as well as the Rangers and Marlins. I have a few Marlins that I collect, and I was hoping to pull a Josh Hamilton parallel or insert. The results were a bit lackluster for me, but I did get a few chrome prospects from the Cubs, so I guess it wasn't a total loss.


If anyone hasn't been by the SCR site, go ahead and check them out. The podcast is also available on Itunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment