Search This Blog


Wednesday, April 30, 2014

2013-14 Dominion Case Break Loot

I hadn't gone into a case break in a while, but with so many 2013-14 hockey sets out now, and attention spread elsewhere, I decided to buy into a break of 2013-14 Dominion. I picked up the Penguins, and got them at a decent price, which I'm sure has a lot to do with this now being a six-month-old product. With a high-end product, there aren't a whole lot of extra cards in the boxes, so there is a chance you will walk away empty handed. Luckily, that didn't happen, as I pulled the following cards:

Beau Bennett Rookie Patch Autograph Emerald Redemption /5
Apart from a nice Crosby or Malkin autograph, one thing I really wanted was a Bennett rookie. He is the only Penguin included in the Rookie Patch Autograph set, since Olli Maatta, I guess, didn't make his first NHL appearance until after production had begun. Unfortunately, the Bennett is a redemption, but hopefully this will get filled soon. I have a bunch of Bennett hits already, but this one contains an on-card autograph, a patch, and a low serial number. All the elements you need for a fantastic card.



Jeff Zatkoff Rookie Autograph 267/299
Zatkoff was the only other Penguins rookie to make the Dominion set, but his card just has the on-card autograph, with no memorabilia swatch. Still, this was a card I definitely wanted, as Zatkoff was really put to the test this year. After Tomas Vokoun was sidelined from surgery to remove a blood clot. Instead of trading for a veteran backup to replace Vokoun, they decided to give Zatkoff a shot.


I just got those two cards from the case, but luckily, they were two that I really wanted. Now I just have to play the waiting game with the Bennett, but I'm sure it will be well worth it once the card arrives.

2 comments:

  1. Any chance if it takes too long you would try a replacement? Or is the one you want no matter what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that's a very good question. I really want this specific card, and I'll give it quite a while, but I'm sure if the wait gets to be too long, I may try get it replaced. At a certain point, as badly as I may want a certain card, if it just isn't getting filled, I at least want something. I'll probably give it a full calendar year before getting it replaced. If it isn't filled by that point, I'll go ahead and assume it's never getting filled.

    ReplyDelete