Search This Blog


Wednesday, April 2, 2014

2 Boxes of 2013-14 SP Game Used Edition

Last week, I found myself at the LCS with money to burn and no new hockey releases, so I was faced with a conundrum. Do I go with another box or two of something I've already opened, or do I branch out with something other than a familiar hockey product? Well, I ended up doing a little bit of both. The "branch out" product was the box of 2011 Marquee Baseball that I posted yesterday, and the "familiar hockey product" I went with was 2013-14 Upper Deck SP Game Used Edition. I picked up two boxes, in fact, and since I've already posted a break of the product, I'll spare you the boring details, and get right to the good stuff.

Here's the video of both boxes, with scans to follow:


Base Penguins: Mario Lemieux, Paul Coffey
I only pulled two penguins out of this break, and both are retired players. They are also both Hall-of-Famers, so it was a good pair to pull.


Authentic Rookies: Rasmus Ristolainen 45/55
The base rookie cards from this set are extremely rare, as each one is numbered to the player's jersey number. Higher numbered players like Ristolainen do pretty well on the secondary market, but if you can pull a guy like Seth Jomes (3), Olli Maatta (3), or Jack Campbell (1), you can get some MAJOR return on your box.


Authentic Fabrics: Grant Fuhr, Ryan Callahan
Rookie Fabrics: Justin Schultz, Dougie Hamilton
Apart from the fact that all four of these cards are actually of some pretty good players, it made me appreciate, that much more, the fact that Upper Deck wisely scrapped that horrible letter variation jersey card they did in 2011-12 SP Game Used. 


Authentic Fabrics Dual: Michal Neuvirth/Braden Holtby
Rookie Fabrics Dual: Jarred Tinordi/Brendan Gallagher
Not in love with either of these, but I do like that they keep the two players within the same team, even going to far as the same position with the Washington goaltenders.


Rookie Fabrics Quad: Mikhail Grigorenko/Nail Yakupov/Vladimir Terasenko/Valeri Nichuskin
Authentic Fabrics Patch: Jake Allen 14/35
Here's where it really gets good. First of all, you have the quad rookie jersey card of some of the top draft picks from the last two years, and I think that the common thread is that they are all Russian. Not only that, but all four pieces are different colors, and none of them are white, which is quite an astonishing feat. Next you have Jake Allen who ended up being one of the top players from the 2012-13 rookie card class. It's a low-numbered card with a well-placed patch, and it looks amazing.


Authentic Rookies Gold Autograph: Aleksander Barkov
Inked Rookie Sweaters: Jarred Tinordi 90/99
Lastly, we have the autographs. First is Barkov, which is a great pull, considering he was the second overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Then there's also Tinordi, who seems to be haunting me. Not only did I pull two of his hits out of these two boxes, but I also pulled an autograph of his from a box of Panini Select that I opened earlier this year.


That's it for these two boxes. I really like this product a lot, but I'm not sure how much more I will be going after. With Panini Playbook and Upper Deck SP Authentic on the horizon, my attention may turn elsewhere, but it was fun while it lasted!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know much about rookie hockey players, but I see what some of their autos go for on Ebay. I'm assuming that is a good pull!

    ReplyDelete