Search This Blog


Tuesday, April 30, 2013

100-Card Target Hockey Re-Pack

So, for a couple years now, I've been seeing these $5 100-card Jumbo Packs at Target. They usually contain card from random years (but mostly from the last 25) and feature a special drawing point, whether it be cards of hall of famers, rookie cards, or vintage cards. For the longest time, I've mostly seen baseball, with football and basketball making the occasional appearance. Up until this point, though, I never saw hockey, so when I finally came across one at my local Target, I decided to grab one up, just to see what was inside.


Each $5 pack comes with 100 cards, five of which are guaranteed to be rookie cards, and every third pack contains a memorabilia card. Mine didn't, but I did get nine of what I think were rookie cards. I only say this because none of the rookies were together, so I can only assume that they just went with cards that had a "rookie" or "prospect" designation on them.


However, there were five rookies of MUCH bigger stature than those nine, but they weren't designated as such on the card itself. These Bowman cards were from the LOADED 1990-91 rookie class, which gave me rookie cards of Mike Modano, Ed Belfour, Jeremy Roenick, Mark Recchi, and Alexander Mogilny.


And speaking of 1990-91 Bowman, I also pulled FIVE Doug Gilmour cards. I like Gilmour a lot, but no one needs five of these.


Here's some cool cards. They aren't really vintage, because they came around at the beginning of the "Junk Wax Era," but they are from before I collected hockey cards, so they're vintage-ish to me, at least. Here's 1988-89 Topps Stickers of Wayne Gretzky and Cam Neely, as well as a 1987-88 Topps card of Brian Curran.


Here's a few cards of other major NHL stars, including Joe Sakic in the Nordiques uniform and Ron Francis in the green and white Whalers gear.


There were also a couple cards from the higher-end sets of the 1990s, with a Peter Bondra from 1994-95 Flair and a Mike Richter from 1995-96Skybox Emotion.


Lastly, for some reason, I received a basketball checklist from an NBA Hoops set. I'm not sure how this got in, but it was there. Oh well.


Overall, this was a fun little pack to open. You won't get anything major, but as you can see, there are plenty of oddities and curiosities to make it worth your five bucks.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Belfour Bowman card.....not a bad haul for 5 bucks...

    ReplyDelete