Search This Blog


Monday, April 1, 2013

A Few Ebay Purchases for the Collection + Some Trade Bait

Well, despite being a HUGE fan of Panini Limited, as I've mentioned SEVERAL times before, I still hadn't picked up any boxes of the product before making this purchase. I have, since then, picked up a couple, but since I'm not the only customer at my LCS to be a fan, availability can be "Limited" (see what I did there?) if my timing is off.

Anyway, after striking out a couple of times, I decided to take matters into my own hands and grab a few singles off of Ebay. I grabbed three Limited cards, one 2011-12 Dominion Rookie Patch auto, and one golf card that I care nothing about, for the trade bait folder.

So, without further ado, let's take a look at the goods:

 2012-13 Limited Monikers Marc-Andre Fleury Auto 32/99

I really like the style of these cards. Each autograph is done "on fabric" and is signed right next to an embroidered team logo. There are also parallels of these with an alternate logo. These were started, I believe, with the 2010-11 set and for the first two years, were done just with rookies, but with the rookie crop sparse this year due to the lockout, they have expanded this line to active players. Two Penguins, Fleury and Evgeni Malkin, and one new Penguin, Jarome Iginla, are in this set, with Malkin being a redemption.


One other new thing they have done this year is to do something special with the 30 team captains, by substituting a Limited Captains card for the regular base card. These are done identical to the base card, but with "Limited Captains" on the top in clear view, with a photo that proudly displays the "C" on the front of the sweater. The regular cards are also a little bit more rare than the non-captain base cards, being numbered to 199, as opposed to 299. I picked up the silver parallel of Crosby, which is numbered 28/49, making this the lowest-numbered non-auto, non-jersey card of his that I own.


I also picked up one more Limited card, mostly because it was cheap and looks really cool.  This Tyson Barrie Freshman Jumbo prime jersey card is numbered 30/49 and features a two-colored swatch from his Colorado Avalanche sweater. Barrie is certainly fighting for his spot on the team. He made the opening day roster, and apart from a stint with the AHL's Lake Erie Monsters from March 12-25, he has remained with the team, scoring 2 goals and 6 assists in 18 games.


It's been a while since I've made a whole lot of headway on my 2011-12 Dominion Autographed Patch Rookie collection, but I added one more to it with this Dmitry Orlov, numbered 88/199. The Russian defenseman was selected in the second round (55th overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and made his NHL debut during the 2011-12 season, where he scored 3 goals and 16 assists in 60 games. He has spent most of the 2012-13 season with the AHL's Hershey Bears, notching 1 assist in 5 games.


Lastly, I also picked up this 2012 SP Game Used Golf Mark Calcavecchia dual shirt memorabilia card, mostly because it was just a buck, plus an extra $.25 for the combined shipping add-on. I know nothing about Calcavecchia, but Wikipedia tells me that he won his lone Major at the Open Championship on July 23, 1989, and his last PGA Tour win came at the PODS Championship on March 11, 2007. His most recent victory was a Champions Tour win at the Montreal Championship on June 24, 2012.


Well, that's all for those five. With the two Penguins and the Dominion, I get some great additions to my active collections, and the Barrie and Calcavecchia cards provide some valuable additions to my trade bait folders. Let me know if these cards, or any of my other trade bait cards strike your fancy.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Calc....once upon a time when I used to play Wall Street Sports, he made me millions! Great player and a well respected guy.

    ReplyDelete