Search This Blog


Thursday, October 31, 2013

Reacquiring a Card: 2011-12 Limited Trios Buffalo Sabres + A Few Others

Last year, when going a little crazy on my cardboard purchases, I had a bad habit of immediately throwing my good non-Penguins cards on Ebay to try and flip them, but looking back on it, there are some cards that I would like to have kept, especially considering how little I got in return. My most recent "reacquired" card was a Limited Trios card of Tyler Myers, Tyler Ennis, and Derek Roy from 2011-12 Panini Limited, numbered 18/25.


Now, I'm not a fan of the Buffalo Sabres, and am not a huge fan of any of the three players in particular, but I just think it's a great looking card. Of course, had this not been a card I had personally pulled from a pack, I'd have no interest in it. Now, this isn't the exact card I pulled, but it was the prime version, numbered to 25, so it's close enough for me.  I just remember being disappointed with how little it originally sold for. Luckily, I was able to purchase this card at a similarly low price.

Along with that card, I also picked up two others from the same seller. The first one is a Matt Frattin Phenoms on-fabric auto from 2011-12 Limited, numbered 20/299. As a University of North Dakota alumnus, Frattin's cards are always welcome in my collection, especially an "on-fabric" signature like this one. While Frattin appears to be struggling early on with his new team, the Los Angeles Kings, hopefully he finds a way to pick up his game before too long.


Lastly, I also picked up an autographed Stanley Cup Winners card of Chris Pronger, numbered 52/99. The  2nd overall draft pick in 1993, Pronger went on to FAR exceed the accomplishments of the man he was passed over for, Alexandre Daigle. In total, he had an 18-year NHL career, in which he won the Hart Trophy (League MVP) and Norris Trophy (Best Defenseman) in 2000, Olympic gold medals in 2002 and 2010, and the Stanley Cup in 2007 with the Anaheim Ducks. While he, himself, has not officially announced his retirement, Pronger hasn't played a game since 2011, due to post-concussion syndrome, and just a couple of weeks ago, Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told the media that Pronger's playing career is over. Pronger will remain with the Flyers as a part-time scout for the remainder of his contract.


1 comment: