Search This Blog


Thursday, May 18, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 5

Day 5 - A certified autograph card of one of your favorite players


Now, my all-time favorite player is Ryne Sandberg. Unfortunately, I only have one certified auto of his, and I'm saving that one for a later post. Luckily, this one has to do with "one of" my favorite players, so I can post this beauty from another favorite Cub from my era, Kerry Wood.


Wood entered the Majors with a bang, tying Roger Clemens' record of 20 strikeouts in a game in only his fifth major league start. He was set to be the cubs' fireball pitcher of the future, but missed what would have been his second season in the Majors after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. He would return and eventually regain his momentum, leading the league in strikeouts, with 266 in 2003. He would later on play for the Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees, but returned to the cubs for the 2011 season. He retired in 2012, and played his last game on May 18 of that year. He faced just one batter that game, who he struck out.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see the auto on the card still looks good. Some of those Sweet Spot auto cards haven't aged so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the 20 strikeout game... as well as the final strikeout of his career. It was so awesome seeing Cubs fans give Wood a hero's sendoff with that several minute standing ovation. I'm tempted to go out and grab myself a Kerry Wood autograph now.

    ReplyDelete