Search This Blog


Monday, May 15, 2017

2017 Diamond Kings Box Break #2

After being impressed with one box of 2017 Diamond Kings, I decided to try my hand at another, and boy, am I glad I did. Not only is this still such a great-looking set of cards, but I ended up with an even better box this time around!

One thing I really didn't get into in the first box was the SP variations that I pulled. There isn't really anything new with this idea, just different pictures and they are a little tougher to find. They have 25 different cards with variations. Here's an example of some that I pulled from this box:


I pulled both versions of Kirby Puckett's card, to give you a look at the differences. Sometimes you'll get different poses, while other times it's different uniforms. Here we have pictures of early-career Puckett and late-career Puckett. On the non-rookie cards, they also changed the back to make it easier to identify which one is the regular card (square frame) and the SP variation (round frame).


Like the last box, I pulled five paper-framed parallels, with four non-numbered ones (Madison Bumgarner, Paul Waner, Khris Davis, and Yoan Moncada), and one serial-numbered card (red-paper-framed A.J. Pollock 7/99)


The inserts were the same as the previous box, but the number of each that I pulled was different. I only pulled two Aurora cards: Mike Trout and Max Scherzer


One of my favorites, Heritage Collection, gave me four cards: Ozzie Smith, Eddie Murray, Rod Carew, and Tony Gwynn


There were two Memorable Moments cards of big home run games for the Yankees. These two focus on Reggie Jackson hitting 3 home runs in a game and Lou Gehrig hitting 4 home runs in a game.


Lastly for the inserts is Originals, which puts a new look to an old format with Diamons Kings. The four I pulled were Kris Bryant, Mike Trout, Corey Kluber, and Freddie Freeman


Each box promised two hits, and like the last one, both were pretty good ones to pull. The first is a Limited Lithos autographed dual jersey card of Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling numbered 34/49. I can't say I know a whole lot about this guy, but when compared to what most guys do nowadays, he has a great-looking signature, which makes this card even better.


Lastly, is my best hit out of both boxes, a dual patch card of Chicago Cubs top prospect Eloy Jimenez, numbered 13/25. Jimenez may have another year or two before he cracks the major league roster, but with a great year in A-ball last season and an impressive performance at the 2016 All-Star Futures Game, he'll be ready when the call comes. Not only is this card of a soon-to-be-great player, but the two patch pieces look amazing. The one on the left most likely comes from the logo on the front of the jersey, and the one on the right is probably from a number. You can even see a bit of a pinstripe, as well.


another great box at a fantastic price. I'm telling you, as far as fantastic-looking cards at a great value go, you really can't beat Diamond Kings.

2 comments:

  1. Diamond Kings is always one of my favorite products of the year. Last year's version was so good that I wasn't sure it could be topped but somehow they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang son, that is a nice looking set. I...Must...Resist! Seriously though, thanks for sharing. I love seeing what people pull from their boxes.

    ReplyDelete