Search This Blog

Group Break entries are now closed, the boxes have been ordered and secondary teams have been randomized. Follow THIS LINK for final team assignments.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 4

Day 4 - A rookie card of one of your favorite players


For me, the clear winner is this one: 


I wasn't raised a Cubs fan, but I became one at the age of 9 thanks to WGN and Harry Caray. I was too young to understand a lot of the intricacies of the game, but I did know thaqt this guy was the best on the team, and he became my favorite player. As a young card collector, I picked up whatever cards of his I could, but most of them were the recent releases. This one eluded me for a long time, mostly because of the price. It probably never got above$30, even during the peak of his career, but for a kid in elementary school, it was WAY out of my price range. It was my first "white whale," and there was a great sense of satisfaction when I finally purchased the card as an adult. 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent choice - Ryno and a few choice others were about all we Cubs fans had for a long time. His rookie card is iconic and also continues to elude me, as well. One day I'll track one down - as a Cubs collector, it feels like a distinct need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card... best N.L. 2nd Baseman in 1980s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rookie card of a great player from a great set.

    ReplyDelete