Search This Blog

Group Break entries are now closed, the boxes have been ordered and secondary teams have been randomized. Follow THIS LINK for final team assignments.

Friday, June 1, 2012

2011 Panini Limited: Hockey vs. Football

Not being able to get enough of Panini Limited, I decided to branch out a bit and heck out the football release. I know it obviously shares the same name, but curiosity got me to thinking just how close it might be to the hockey release I have become so familiar with. I bought a pack of each, and here's a comparison of the base, inserts, and hits from each pack.

Base:
Hockey: Vincent Lecavalier /299, Dwayne Roloson /99, Patrick Roy /299
Football: Kyle Orton, Michael Crabtree, Roy Helu Jr., and Junior Seau /499
Both are great looking base cards, but not only do the hockey ones scan better, but the foil on the football cards has a bad fingerprint-collecting problem. It's really hard to keep them clean.


Inserts/Parallels: Brett Hull Stanley Cup Champion /199, Milan Lucic /49, Colt McCoy Limitless /249
For my money, the Stanley Cup Champions cards are easily my favorite insert set of the year.


Jerseys: Kendall Hunter Jersey /99, Nikolai Khabibulin & Devan Dubnyk Dual Jersey/199
A large swatch from a rookie and a dual jersey from two decent goaltenders. A tie, in my opinion.


Auto: Adam Henrique /299, Denarius Moore /199
I didn't think much of the Henrique until just now, when I looked at the team's playoff stats. As of the end of Game 1 of the finals, he is fourth on the team in scoring, with 3 goals and 8 assists. Not bad for your rookie season. He easily gets the edge on this one, as Moore only had 5 carries in 2011. Even though he rushed for 61 yards and 1 touchdown with those 5 carries, playoff production wins out.


Big Hit: Ryan Kesler Jumbo Jersey Number /49, Troy Aikman Material Monikers Auto/Jersey /30
The Kesler is a decent card, but not the greatest "big hit" you could find out of this product. The Aikman, on the other hand, is a different story. The Monikers cards are great looking and feature a sticker autograph, a piece of memorabilia, and have a low serial number (I think this one is /30). Unfortunately, though, this is a redemption, and now I have to play the waiting game. 9 times out of 10, I'll just be perfectly happy accepting a substitute and moving on, but this, I think, is one worth waiting for. The only thing that concerns me is that we are five months into the product's release, and we still have no cards. Let's get a move on, Troy!

Well, there you go. Two sports of a product I am a BIG fan of, and both are identical. The big hit on this one made the football pack the better of the two, but with limited, you're a winner no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment