Search This Blog


Tuesday, November 26, 2013

2013-14 Select Box Break #2

Here's a quick look at the second box of 2013-14 Select that I picked up from my LCS last week. I posted Box #1 yesterday, if anyone hasn't taken a look at it yet. I won't go into too many details about the product, since I've done that already, so let's just jump in with the good stuff:


Pittsburgh Penguins Base Cards: Mario Lemieux & Evgeni Malkin


Rookies: Nicolas Blanchard, Steven Pinizzotto, John Muse, Steve Oleksy


Parallels: Gold - Steven Stamkos 10/10, Prizm - Matt Duchene, Al MacInnis, Christian Ehrhoff, Brenden Dillon. The Stamkos is a FANTASTIC pull, and I love those mid-'90s Blues jerseys MacInnis is wearing.


Inserts: Fire On Ice: Henrik Lundqvist, Nick Bjugstad, Cornerstone - Alex Pietrangelo, Double Strike - Pavel Datsyuk. It looks like I was shorted one insert from this box, which sucks, but it's not enough of an issue to raise a stink over.


Autograph: Ryan Stoa Select Signatures
As you'll see, the hit collection of this box, while of different players, is almost identical to Box #1. We start things off with a sticker-dump auto of a player featured in an Avalanche jersey, who now plays for another team. Stoa was traded by Colorado to the Washington Capitals He last played for Colorado during the 2010-11 season, where he scored 2 goals and 2 assists in 25 games. He played the entire 2011-12 season with Colorado's AHL affiliate Lake Erie Monsters, before signing with the Washington Capitals and spending the 2012-13 season with their AHL team, the Hershey Bears.


Autograph: Ryan Garbutt Youth Explosion
At least with this one, you get to see what the Youth Explosion autos look like, as my Andrew Shaw from Box #1 was a redemption. Garbutt was a part of the 2012-13 lockout-limited rookie card class, after playing 20 NHL games during the 2011-12 season. He earned himself a permanent spot on the 2012-13 regular season roster, where he scored 3 goals and 7 assists in 36 games.


Autograph: Sean Collins Rookie Prizm Auto 33/99
I was lucky enough to pull two parallels of my base rookie cards from the two boxes. A 2008 seventh-round draft pick in 2008, Collins finally made it to the NHL during the 2012-13 season for five games, where he went scoreless. So far in the 2013-14 season, he has already matched his games played total from last year, and has picked up an assist in the process.

Autograph: Beau Bennett Jersey Auto 155/199
One of the biggest things I was looking forward to this collecting year was the chance to pick up some rookie hits.  I may not always be the biggest rookie collector, but since most of the hits lean that way, is nice to have a much bigger chance to pick up some extra cards for my Pittsburgh Penguins collection. So far, I already have Bennett's autographed Score and Prizm rookie cards, so this makes number three. There's just one problem...


As you can see here. the bottom of the back side of the card is significantly damaged. It appears as if the back layer of the card got caught on something and dinged it pretty badly. I know that Panini is good about replacing damaged hits, as I have had to utilize it in the past, so I'll just have to wait a few weeks before this card is replaced by a brand new, perfectly conditioned version of itself.


That's it for Select for me up to this point. I may pick up some more, as the hockey selection is somewhat limited this early on in the collecting season. I've updated my needs list with the cards I still have left for this set, so if anyone has some Select to spare, check it out, and let me know what you've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment