Search This Blog

Group Break entries are now closed, the boxes have been ordered and secondary teams have been randomized. Follow THIS LINK for final team assignments.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Yet Another Name Change, Plus a Cool Ebay Pickup

Well, I've decided to change the name of my blog yet again. I started out with My Cardboard Obsession, but it sounded too much like a Calvin Klein cologne ad. Then I went with "Who Own Da Chiefs" in reference to my favorite sports movie, Slap Shot, but someone had already registered the web address, so I had to add my name to it, which got to be too wordy. I had considered going with "Hey Hanrahan!" but it would require an awkward explanation which would offend most people I told it to, and great lines like "The ******* machine took my quarter" and "That **** is no good," were just flat out profane.

I think I'm going to stick with this one, though. For one, I think it's at least catchy and memorable, plus it (kind of) rhymes. And although I may be thinking WAY too ambitiously, the web domain itself is available and would make a great name for a podcast. Although I have just gotten my feet wet in the internet card trading community, I would definitely like to do something more with this than just posting random Wal-Mart blaster box breaks.

We'll see.

I did, however, pick up a pretty cool card for my Kerry Wood personal collection this week. It is a Gallery Originals jersey card from the 2005 Topps Gallery set. The condition isn't quite mint, as a little bit of the blue has rubbed off on the bottom and there appears to be a little bit of a crease where the hole was cut, but the card is fantastic looking.

I always love the painted sets, whether it's 2010 Allen & Ginter or 1987 Donruss Diamond Kings, plus I love the way the swatch is framed, even though the stripe is horizontal. The kicker with this card is that I purchased it for the ultra low price of $1.25 with free shipping. When I received my package a few days later, the shipping label showed a charge of $1.22. Essentially, the seller made a mere three cents. Now I know that Wood is nowhere near the player he was in 1998, when he struck out 20 Astros in a game, but he's worth much more than 3 cents.

2 comments:

  1. Just sent you an e-mail about a trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great pickup and a cool looking cards.

    Derek

    http://www.tomahawkchopping.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete