Search This Blog

Group Break entries are now closed, the boxes have been ordered and secondary teams have been randomized. Follow THIS LINK for final team assignments.

Monday, October 11, 2010

2010 and 2008 Allen & Ginter

I dove head first back into the card collecting this summer and what caught my eye right away was the 2010 Allen & Ginter set. I was first introduced to the set in 2007 and was impressed not only with the simplistic retro look of the cards, but of the random cards of the non-sports figures. Naturally, that became the first set I went after this summer, as I unloaded on a few boxes.What I really liked about the hits contained here is how A&G (and I know 206 does the same) went the extra mile to make them seem like something special. Instead of simply taking a base card, cutting out a hole and sticking in a jersey swatch, they took a miniature version and put it in a clear case with a colorful frame. Here's a few of the hits that I got from 2010 and 2008:

While some people wouldn't be happy with their hits being a domino champ, a high diver or a YouTube dancer, I thought that it definitely gave something different. For me, the best way to get my attention is to give me something I can't find anywhere else. The relics above are Max Poser, Ryan Braun, Ryan Zimmerman, Judson Laipply, Miguel Cabrera, Melky Cabrera, Darren Taylor, Ivan Rodriguez and Josh Hamilton.


From 2010 I got three autos: Alcides Escobar, Daniel McCutchen and Jim Zapp. From 2008, I got relics of Delwyn Young, Chipper Jones, Carl Crawford, Jason Varitek, Jeff Francoer and Ichiro.

By the way, Sam at The Daily Dimwit is having a contest for a couple of autographed cards. If you're a Cubs fan like me, it's worth checking out.

2 comments:

  1. Nice cards! Welcome to the blog community! I agree with you on A&G... they make it fun to open and interesting to see what you got! Especially if you get something special or out of the ordinary! I'll plug your blog in a future post to help you get some followers and I hope you win my little contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll echo The Dimwit...Welcome. You've got some great stuff there.

    ReplyDelete