Search This Blog


Saturday, October 16, 2010

2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes

Stopping my the sports card area of my local Wal Mart, I spotted a discounted blaster box of 2008 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes on sale for only $8.97. Looking at the description, the box contained 7 packs of 5 cards, plus 2 bonus packs for a total of 45 cards. There were no guaranteed hits, but for the price, I figured it was worth picking up.

I was quite surprised, then, to discover my first-ever multiple swatch pull: A triple jersey card of Brandon Webb, Justin Verlander and Felix Hernandez, numbered 52/200. Some of the best pulls are the ones you least expect. No matter who the player, or players, are, it's always good to be surprised.

The big gimmick run in the Baseball Heroes set is the different colored parallels. The base has a kind of yellow shade to the background and they include one black-background parallel per pack. The rest of the colors are serial numbered and are tougher to come by. In this box, I pulled a Robin Yount blue card, numbered 127/199


Cubs Count: 5/43 (12%).  A fantastic ratio for this Cubs fan. However, what I happened to get shows some loose definitions of what constitutes a "Baseball Hero." I understand Kosuke Fukudome being the hot rookie import, but Ryan Theriot? Felix Pie? Even with my North Side bias, that's a bit of a stretch. But beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.


Overall, I was pretty happy with what I found. The cards look nice, I pulled a few Cubs and I got a nice surprise with the relic card. Definitely worth my nine bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment