Search This Blog


Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Redemption Returns from 2017-18 Artifacts

Now here's a blog post that is WAY overdue. 2017-18 Artifacts came out three years ago, but I am just now getting around to posting about the redemption returns. I am always good about scanning cards in to the computer, and uploading them to a drafted Blogger post, but sometimes they just stay there, totally neglected, almost never to be revealed. 

Anyway, I'll get to it. I pulled two rookie redemptions and a jersey patch redemption from the box. You don't know who these players will be, since the product is released before the NHL season begins, and the before the players have a chance to play in their first NHL game. 

The big hit was n Emerald jersey patch card of New Jersey Devils defenseman Will Butcher, numbered 59/99. The card looks great, and even though the jersey piece is plain white, the patch piece is perfect, showing three colors and is perfectly centered in the window. Butcher is the most successful of the three redemptions, playing for the NHL club full time for the past three seasons.

My basic rookie was a Wild Card, which could be from any team. This one turned out to be Filip Chlapik of the Ottawa Senators, numbered 502/799. Chlapik spent the last three seasons with the Senators organization, with 2019-20 being his most productive, scoring 3 goals and 3 assists in 31 games with the NHL squad. 


Lastly, is an Emerald rookie of forward Nick Merkley, numbered 30/99. Merkley was with the Arizona Coyotes for one game during the 2017-18 season, and played four games for the New Jersey Devils before Covid shut the season down.


I'm not quite buying boxes like I used to, or even at all, really, but it is fun to go back and look at past successes. None of these would qualify as epic pulls, but I was happy with what I got back.

2 comments:

  1. Seems like a lot of the collectors in the blogosphere are cutting back on box purchases, yet boxes continue to dry up quickly and climb in value on the secondary market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the thrill of opening up packs and boxes, but having removed myself from the hobby for a while, but when I look back and realize that I spent $90 on these, plus two other jersey cards, the value just isn't there. Of course, I will buy a few from time to time, but I'm more of a singles purchaser now. I can get specifically what I want, and in many cases, for far less than a box would be. I do still enjoy group breaks, though. The buy-ins are usually cheap, so even if you strike out, it doesn't set you back too much.

      Delete